Thursday, July 18, 2013

LemonAid

Some really easy lemon tricks in the kitchen....(like my play on words, lemon AID, not lemonade???)

I had some citrus in the fridge that was starting to look a little yucky and I didn't want to just throw it away, so I decided to see what interesting things I could do with the little buggers.  I was AMAZED at what I found!!!


1.  I sliced them and put them in the microwave.    I did this so my microwave would smell fresh, but in the process, I found a new trick.  I heated them for 30 seconds and then rubbed the lemon on any splatters in the microwave.  Guess what?  They came right off...no elbow grease needed.  Just a quick swipe with the lemon and then a quick swipe with a dishrag.  No more splatters!  Who knew it was that easy?  Not me....I tend to ignore the inside of my microwave!



2.  Then I squeezed the juice out.  I have NEVER had so much juice come out before.  It was so easy to squeeze and the juice was just running out.  I used to buy lemon juice and lime juice, but lately I've been squeezing my own and just put it right it in the old container.  Then it's labeled and easy to find.  Also my friend, Amy, swore by this juicer and it really works well...especially if you heat the lemons first!  Here's a link to it on Amazon if you want one.



3.  Next, I took the rind and 3 ice cubes and put them in the disposal.  According to the internet (which is always right), the ice helps to "solidify" the gunk down there and then the rind helps get it off.  It also gives a LOVELY smell.  Nothing smells clean like citrus! I've also heard that ice helps to sharpen the blade.  I have no idea if it's true, but it sounds good.



4.  I put another rind in the silverware basket of my dishwasher.  This is supposed to help clean the dishes.  Citric acid is a major component in DIY dishwashing detergents (PS - I am working on one, but still haven't tweaked it to something that I am willing to publish).   When I opened the dishwasher after it had done its business, the lemons smelled FABULOUS.  I decided to leave them for at least one more run.  Maybe two - who knows?  It can be a game...how long will the lemons last?





5.  Lastly, I read that people freeze their rinds any time they have extra and then always have some on hand.  One commenter said that she had made Orange Marmalade (from scratch) and froze all the extra rinds.  She's been using them straight out of the freezer for months.  So, I put all my extras in a baggie and stuck them in the freezer.

What do you do with your citrus rinds?


No comments:

Post a Comment