Monday, July 29, 2013

One Dish Dinner - Pad Thai

I had seen a post floating around facebook for a "One Pot Wonder" made with pasta, tomatoes and basil and thought "Oh my!  If that works, someone is brilliant."  Then, I found this recipe at www.apronstringsblog.com for a Thai One Pot Wonder and had to try it.

BUT, I am gluten-free (not by choice) and gf pasta does not act the same as wheat pasta, so this was truly going to be an experiment.  In the true experimental mode, I made two pots.  One regular pasta and one Thai rice noodles.  Here's what I found...


The gluten-free version does work, but it needs some tweaking.  Soooo...here is the original version by the gal at Apron Strings and then my version, gluten free.

One Pot Wonder Thai Peanut Pasta Make sure you go check hers out.  She takes MUCH better pictures than me and she's the genius behind the recipe.

Here's the gluten free version....





Gluten Free One Pot Wonder Thai Peanut Pasta
14 ounces Thai Kitchen Stir Fry Rice Noodles
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon rice vinegar*
1 tablespoon brown sugar *
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I like San-J because they are gf)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1 large carrot, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch by 2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch by 2 inch pieces
3 green onions, sliced in half lengthwise and then in 2 inch pieces
1 cup roasted salted peanuts
2 tablespoons peanut butter

*The rice vinegar and brown sugar were a substitute for tamarind paste.

Put all ingredients except pasta in a large pot.  When the liquid is boiling, add rice pasta and reduce to a simmer and cover.  Stir every minute or so (rice pasta sticks together easily).  After 9 minutes.  Remove from heat.  It will continue to cook and will absorb all the liquid and the rice noodles will get pretty mushy, BUT they really absorb the flavor and are yummy.

Then add the juice of two limes and a handful of chopped cilantro.

Before serving, add peanuts on top.  You could also add sprouts and chicken.

Next time, I will add some water chestnuts to give it a little more crunch.  Maybe they aren't truly Thai, but I like crunch.

I recommend that you eat it immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment