Saturday, August 3, 2013

A BIG birthday

Today is my sweet, wonderful, fabulous, fantastic, amazing husband's 50th birthday!!!!!!

So, this means I am hosting a small family party tonight so that we can celebrate.  I thought that it would be fun to share my menu and recipes with you my devoted readers so that you could enjoy too!  So, stay tuned in the future for some of these fabulous recipes.


 
The recipe I am sharing today needs a Dish Fairy!  I used to joke that it takes every bowl in my kitchen.  It is however, the BEST Italian Cream cake that I have EVER had!  Unfortunately for me, it is not gluten free.
 
 
 
AUNT BRENDA's ITALIAN CREAM CAKE
 
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
5 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans
1 cup coconut
 
Combine soda and buttermilk and set aside.  Cream sugar, butter and shortening.  Add 1 egg yolk at a time to this mixture beating well after each egg.  Then to the cream mixture add the buttermilk mixture alternating with flour (in other words, add a little buttermilk, then flour, then buttermilk, then flour).  Stir in vanilla.
 
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they are stiff and then fold them into the above mixture gently.  Stir in pecans and coconut.  Bake in 2 greased and floured 10-inch pans at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
 
 
Frosting:
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
 
Mix the cream cheese and butter together.  Add vanilla.  Beat in sugar a little at a time until spreading consistency.  Frost cake and store in the refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment