Thursday, August 15, 2013

Breakfast Cookies

I started making these cookies earlier this summer and now I am totally addicted.  They keep me full until breakfast and make me feel like I'm being somewhat healthy.  They made from nuts, fruits, and quinoa and have no added sugar. 

Bonus:  I feel like a kid...sneaking COOKIES for breakfast!



BREAKFAST COOKIES

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond meal (or almond flour)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
6 pitted dates, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup pecan pieces

Combine the flours, coconut oil and dates in a food processor until everything is combined and the dates are small pieces.

Add the remaining ingredients (except cranberries and pecans) and mix until a wet dough forms.


Add the cranberries and pecans and pulse a couple of times to incorporate.

Put 1 tablespoon of the dough onto a cookie sheet (covered with a SilPat or parchment paper).
Press them down with the heel of your hand.    These cookies won't spread so the shape won't change.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until they are slightly brown around the edge. 

I store mine in the freezer and just take out as many as I want that morning and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds.



No comments:

Post a Comment