Thursday, August 1, 2013

One Dish Dinner - Chinese Chicken and Rice

I've been thinking a lot about the "One Pot Wonder" posts I keep seeing with pasta and I wondered...could you do it with rice?

Here's my concoction approved by friends (Yes, I made it for friends before trying it at home!)
I'm a little excited about sharing this because I made it up!


CHINESE CHICKEN AND RICE

3 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame chili oil
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons ginger, minced
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 sliced white onion
4 chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite size*




Bring these ingredients to a boil and then add 1 1/2 cup jasmine rice.  Bring back to a boil and then turn the burner down to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Then take it off the burner and add veggies of your choice.  I added fresh cut carrots and frozen broccoli.  Let it sit for 10 minutes.  This will "cook" the veggies, but still leave them with some crunch.  I HATE soggy veggies.


When you serve it, top with shredded cabbage, nuts (peanuts or cashews), green onions, and chopped cilantro.  (Don't skip the cilantro...it makes the dish!)  Add a little bit of soy sauce, teriyaki sauce or peanut sauce (I like the San J brand) and enjoy!

*I'm sure you could use boneless, skinless chicken breasts too...maybe 2?


No comments:

Post a Comment